Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Robin Whitley | These Waters Run Deep


robinShannon and I on Pinto, on the Osa Peninsula, 1991


“The Mother Line”


They are two sons,


and i am one mother.


and i


was never


enough.


the madonna’s face you saw


was a myth,


a wish,


a stubborn hope


that has carried me


through a legendary landscape,


my feet vaulting down


a volatile path of disappointment,


delight,


and sheer fatigue.


too close to the unbound edge


for comfort,


i quietly and tumultuously careen


between lost and found,


boundless and bound.


i am selfish and selfless, and


the maelstrom of motherhood has wrung me


and flung me high


and low…


and i have deep grief and joy


because of it.


motherhood is a magnet;


an untenable, organic force.


my face


is relentlessly held in place,


drawn to witness


the brilliant and dusky spectrum


of the entire


human


race.


it is an indelible history


of personal pinnacles


and brooding worry.


it is a song, echoing.


it is my umbilical to the world,


so abiding and fine,


and i carry it with me:


the mother line.


i see it stretching


miles ahead,


i feel it trailing


far behind.


*Robin is a fellow midwife training with me at Maternidad La Luz. I enjoy working with this wonderful woman :)





Source:


http://ift.tt/1jsTHuH






The Late News from http://ift.tt/1c7kycx